Scandi Decor: 10 Easy Ways to Get The Look
Scandinavian decor is all about a paired back look, with bright white walls, soft neutral textiles and stylish furniture. It's is all about being close to nature and bringing this into the home. This modernist look has been around since the 1950’s but has seen a surge in popularity in recent years, so we though we would help you get the look for your home, with ten easy tips!
At the heart of the Scandi-style is the clutter free, minimalist aesthetic, so a great place to start is with decluttering. Spend a day sorting through your home and working out what you actually need. Anything you don’t can be sold on or donated to a charity.
2. PAINT YOUR WALLS WHITEPainting a room can really transform a space. Refresh your home with white walls to open up and brighten the space. Not feeling white? Try a soft taupe or grey instead.
3. SOFT TEXTILESTextiles are key to achieving the perfect Scandi aesthetic. Mixing shapes, textures and neutral colours is the perfect way to achieve this look. You can check out our latest collection of cushions here - the perfect way to finish a Scandi-inspired bedroom or living space.
4. BRING THE OUTDOORS INNo Scandi-home would be complete without house plants. Make sure to add fresh plants and flowers to your rooms. Our favourites are Monsteras and Ferns.
5. REFLECT THE LIGHTAs you know this look is all about light, bright spaces. So make sure to add plenty of mirrors into your home to reflect the light around the room.
6. LOSE THE CARPETScandi decor is all about natural wood or white washed flooring, layered with neutral cosy rugs. So rip up your carpets, and with any look you may have some original wood flooring hiding under there. If not considering laying one, or check out laminate for a more affordable option.
7. LAYERED LIGHTINGLighting is key for achieving the cosy Scandi-feel, especially after dark. Fit dimmer switches, add lamps and light some candles, to create a warm and relaxing feel to the space.
8. INVEST IN QUALITY
Furniture is the key. We recommend investing in classic timeless designs which will stand the test of time. Midcentury modern pieces work well with this look. Focus on natural material such as oak and ply wood, and contrast with metal and leather details. It also good to invest in pieces with good storage to keep the space looking clutter free.
9. UPCYCLEWhy don’t you try updating some of the pieces you already own? A quick sand, lick of paint or changing up the handles are all simple ways to transform an item. Remember to use light, neutrals to nail the Scandi vibe. You could also consider reupholstering sofas and chairs.
10. KEEP WINDOWS SIMPLENatural light is key, so make sure to keep your window treatments simples. Avoid heavy curtains and blinds which block out light. Try and stick to light neutral colours and natural fabrics such as linen.
SHOP VIRGO & CO.
The perfect way to get the Scandi look in your home.